On Fri, 2014-11-28 at 10:10 +0200, Markus Lehtonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> On 27/11/14 15:33, "Patrick Ohly" <patrick.o...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2014-11-26 at 16:02 +0100, Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) wrote:
> >> The infra team has taken the time to document a model proposition and
> >> would like to get all the feedback possible.
> >>    https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Tizen-Distro_Workflow
> >
> >Before diving more into it, let's clarify some points:
> >
> >What does "the above automation" refer to in the last section? Just the
> >"Syncing of external repositories" or everything?
>
> Ah yes. It refers to the syncing of external repositories, e.g. oe-core.
>

> >In the "RPM vs. BitBake packaging meta data" section, can you clarify
> >which meta data can be edited manually? It just says "packaging updated"
> >and it does not become clear which one that is. But as the flow diagram
> >always ends up modifying the .spec file, I assume that only the .bb data
> >may be edited. What happens when a change gets committed with
> >modified .spec?
>
> There would be a distinction between "fully automatically maintained" spec
> files and "semi-automatically" maintained spec files.

Which spec files will be "semi-automatically" maintained? I wasn't aware
that we had such a category ;-}

What we will have is a) package meta data maintained as .bb (either from
Yocto or in Tizen) and .spec file generated from that and b) package
meta data maintained as .spec.

I can see how
https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/File:Tizen-distro-spec-autoupdate.png will
work for case a), except that the "semi-automatically" maintained check
seems redundant. I also have some more comments below.

But what about case b)? Do we want to integrate spec2yocto into the new
workflow?

I'd say no, we shouldn't do that. It has this known limitation of
producing .bb files which don't work on all target configurations.
Integrating it would make the workflow even more complex. What we can do
is the current "Tizen on Yocto" approach of occasionally converting
some .spec files into meta-tizen.

The obvious downside is that meta-tizen lacks Tizen and most likely will
never be quite complete. It will be much better to maintain all packages
with .bb,

Regarding .bb -> .spec: how does the .bb file refer to the source code
that it compiles? This is relevant for the flow where only source code
got modified in a commit.

The recommended approach for traditional Yocto layers is to refer to a
specific source archive or a fixed revision in a source control system
like git, because using a varying reference to a source control system
(like "current master") has the downside that each build must check
these systems for changes, thus slowing down a build even when nothing
changed.

How will that be handled in the per-project git tree?

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.