It was <2014-11-27 czw 13:15>, when Zaman, Imran wrote:

> Maciej, IMO thats one of the downsides of systemd that it encapsulates
> "everything" which it should not; maintainence, upgrades to systemd is
> always challenging and cumbersome. More importantly with gumd in
> place, we can do changes almost instantly as per our needs (see
> security manager and gumd thread plz) rather than going for systemd's
> sysusers thingy.

sysusers is a very simple thingy which sists on a diferent shelf than
gumd. It's primary purpose is to enable management of system users,
gumd's on the other hand (if I understand correctly) is for humans.
sysusers' particular advantage is its "interface" for package
maintainers: a drop-in directory. As a maintainer I can put a file in
/usr/lib/sysusers.d/ and (hope) the package manager (and systemd during
boot) will fire appropriate triggers. The benefit is: a single instance
of code (less bugs) works on simple declartive config files.

I'd rather we used sysusers for system users management because I expect
upstream projects, sooner or later, will do it too.

--
Łukasz Stelmach
Samsung R&D Institute Poland