On 05/20/2015 09:07 AM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 05/19/15 15:34, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 12:49:51 +0200 Tomasz Swierczek <t.swierc...@samsung.com>
>> said:
>>
>>> Apart from being a common part of all profiles, this *really is* the base
>>> for
>>> work of Tizen security team.
>>>
>>> Without Common we will have a big problem in keeping all our work properly
>>> tested & released - and we may quickly end up with 3 separate "Tizen's" on
>>> each profile.
>>>

>>> Like Stephane wrote, Common's status *needs to be clarified*. Unfortunately,
>>> I'm  not the person with authority to do this.
>> the status is the same. the problem is - people don't really care. they are
>> tasked to work on tizen tv or tizen mobile, so that's what they work on.
>> everything else is irrelevant. they are not interested in common or any other
>> profile. it's the reality.
>>
>> our core problem is that we HAVE PROFILES (as in separate tizen stacks). this
>> should cease imho. there should be just "tizen". a tizen MOBILE device may
>> add/include some extra daemons or packages (or remove some). same for tv or
>> ivi
>> etc. etc. - a profile should be nothing more than a list of guaranteed
>> minimum
>> libraries, services and "ui style".
>
> so we don't have a chance of having maintainers reject patches because
> "this belongs in Common"?

there shouldn't even be a place to put changes/patches "per profile". if
a profile needs a different change (a fork) then it's already 99.9%
chance of it being "wrong" and someone simply not taking the time to "do
it right".

we are set up to ENCOURAGE this kind of "forking" behavior where
different profiles just have their own forked stream of development and
ignore the others.

but right now we mix development, packaging and tizen adaption across a
bunch of forked git repos. we should have a single repo for a project -
not one per profile. we actually shouldn't do development in our tizen
git repos but as separated upstream projects. tizen should simply point
to the upstream and at worst overlay some bugfix patches and have packaging.

--
The above message is intended solely for the named addressee and may
contain trade secret, industrial technology or privileged and