Seems like one of the proposals (channels) isn't really tied to the
other (supporting more than Spark). I don't really have an opinion on
the latter (other than nobody has shown enough interest to even try to
prototype anything).

For the former, why do you need these separate "channels"? What
different functionality would they support that you could not achieve
via REST? Any new transport brings a whole lot of baggage with it -
you need to make sure things like encryption and authentication work
properly over it, at the very least. Then there's issue of clients.
Then you have to support all apps over all transport types or things
get confusing. So I'd like to understand exactly what's the advantage
here before opening up that Pandora's box.

--
Marcelo