Thorsten,

> >   A number of these are rather large changes, so it probably
> > doesn't make sense to work on them until there's a known-good release, as
> > they would likely break both API and ABI compatibility.
>
> Does it really matter much if things are broken now vs. with 0.12.0 or
> alike? Backwards compatibility was somewhat broken already when
> changing how the macros are implemented, when returning new LevelPtrs
> to fix threading-issues and with introducing CMAKE in favor of
> building with Maven+ANT.

I have a few thoughts on that:
1. Having a known-good release means that there should be more users,
helping to better test the library.
2. It depends on the level of backwards-compatability breakage that
there is.  For people like you who have a limited environment, having
a version that does not depend on new C++ features allows for a
'legacy' version and a 'modern' version.
3. Adopting a semver[1] versioning at some point would probably make
sense.  If there's an API breakage that should be properly documented
as part of the versioning.  Arguably since this is technically 0.11.0
version it doesn't really matter, since major version 0 allows major
API breakage.

> Would be enough already if you would go through them and provide a
> second opinion about which of those could easily be closed. I would
> close ideas like APR database layer, CI-related stuff etc. most
> likely. Additionally some very old 0.9.7-related issues. But that
> keeps lots of other errors and improvements like new appenders.

Here's my quick run-through of issues currently in JIRA:
LOG4CXX-490 - Should be easily fixable, but do we care about VS2015?
LOG4CXX-483 - Issue was resolved; I will create some documentation if
this comes up again though.
LOG4CXX-481 - I'm not sure who is the responsible member for this.
LOG4CXX-455 - This looks to still be an issue, although I'm not sure
what the correct way to do it would be.  Maybe we add a new check to
also suppress exceptions?
LOG4CXX-454 - VS2013 issue, can probably be closed at the moment.
LOG4CXX-439 - Very old, not sure if still relevant at this point
LOG4CXX-438 - Very old, not sure if still relevant at this point
LOG4CXX-431 - Probably still an issue, but I think the best solution
here is to document and have a callback function that gets called
whenever a new thread starts, allowing the user to do their own signal
handling(a default implementation would be good too).  e.g.
log4cxx::thread::setThreadStartFn --> called in new thread.
LOG4CXX-398 - It looks like this has already been fixed?
LOG4CXX-396 - Probably no longer relevant with CMAKE
LOG4CXX-389 - Very old and not enough information
LOG4CXX-384 - Very old and not enough information
LOG4CXX-377 - Very old and not enough information
LOG4CXX-374 - Very old and not correct usage of the library(using
std::endl in logging operation)
LOG4CXX-352 - Probably not an actual bug according to the comments
LOG4CXX-345 - Very old and not enough information
LOG4CXX-343 - Very old and not enough information
LOG4CXX-341 - Very old and not enough information
LOG4CXX-338 - Very old and not much activity, probably not an issue anymore
LOG4CXX-335 - Who uses sun studio anymore?
LOG4CXX-333 - Very old and likely not an issue
LOG4CXX-309 - Very old, probably not a bug in log4cxx
LOG4CXX-301 - Very old, probably best to close it out
LOG4CXX-289 - Very old, who uses Solaris anymore?
LOG4CXX-276 - Looks to be fixed
LOG4CXX-274 - very old at this point, may no longer be an issue
LOG4CXX-261 - Very old, who uses Solaris anymore?
LOG4CXX-260 - should be fixed as of LOG4CXX-457
LOG4CXX-244 - Very old versions here, I don't see the point in keeping
this open.
LOG4CXX-205 - Very old issue, maynot be a problem
LOG4CXX-101 - Very old issue, unless somebody has a specific need to
use mysql this is almost certainly too old to be useful.
LOG4CXX-61 - Unless APR has database support(it doesn't seem too) this
should probably be closed
LOG4CXX-1 - I would say we should close this; any SMTP support may or
may not even work anymore

There are a bunch of other old issues as well, but some of them at
least have potentially enough information to do something with.

-Robert Middleton

[1]: https://semver.org/