I’ll say that we also use Dependabot and some custom bot at work for
dependency updates, and I’m one of the evangelists, but it’s to ensure that
things get security updates which would otherwise clog up the resources of
the limited number of engineers working on security in the first place. I
sometimes point out various Apache projects people could be using to avoid
dependency update pains due to a wider culture of avoiding Jar Hell here
compared to generic Java OSS projects, too, for those who can’t keep up
with the insecure and quickly changing libraries out there (which becomes a
bigger issue when you try to maintain API compatibility over time).

Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>