In cherry-picking a change from release-2.x to master I ran into some conflicts
because
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/commit/97ec707d69280ef57aed8fd5831dc4f3a75f7715
 was merged to the release branch, but never ported to master. Gary, do you
recall if this was intentional? If not I'd be more than happy to handle the
cherry-pick for you.

Before we release a 3.x from master we should probably do an audit for this
sort of change, httpcomponents had a long-lived 5.x branch which received
several malformed cherry-pick resolutions which ultimately had some negative
impact in our production environments (They were relatively minor and easy
enough to fix once they were found, just something we should be aware of). I
want to make sure we we avoid this sort of bug to the extent possible.

Best,
Carter