Alternative options could be:

a) Divert GitBox notifications to a separate mailing list (e.g.
issues-gitbox@) which no one really subscribes.
The key issue with GitBox notifications is that it produces messages that
do not group by subject,
so 5 notifications on a single PR might look like 5 different emails.
See https://lists.apache.org/thread/xk18m7sp46z7d86pwtkvn69mnb906hss
Personally, I use GitHub notifications as it enables me to subscribe or
mute issues/PRs individually,
and I believe the only viable reason for having GitBox notifications is for
archiving purposes (== write-only).

b) Disable propagating PR comments to JIRA comments.
See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-Jiranotificationoptions

c) Allow JIRA-less PRs, or even migrate from JIRA to GitHub issues.
That would resolve "PR comments are duplicated in JIRA" issue.
Jokes aside, I've just migrated Apache JMeter from Bugzilla to GitHub
Issues, and Apache Lucene
recently migrated from JIRA to GitHub Issues, so the migration is an option
indeed.

Vladimir