Hi Volkan,

On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 at 21:07, Volkan Yazıcı <vol...@yazi.ci> wrote:
> I am in favor of removing the ratchet from Spotless and doing a bing bang.
> Since such a PR would practically not be reviewable, I guess ideally a
> committer or PMC member should do that. Once the commit lands, we can skim
> through the changes in IDEA to make sure Spotless did not plant a backdoor
> or something.

The changes applied by Spotless should be reproducible so anybody can
open a PR and we can verify it with `git diff`.

> One thing I am curious about is... *Do we all agree on the current Spotless
> configuration?* Styling is pretty subjective and we should ideally have one
> big bang. For instance, `log4j-tools` has a different Spotless configuration
> <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j-tools/blob/master/log4j-tools-parent/pom.xml#L257>
> than Log4j and it doesn't use a particular Spotless Java formatter (e.g.,
> Palantir's), though this was a deliberate decision to make that
> configuration align with the provided `.editorconfig`
> <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j-tools/blob/master/.editorconfig>.
> Put another way, I would prefer a consistent Spotless+EditorConfig combo
> across all Log4j projects. Such that we can ship this in `logging-parent`
> and (hopefully) be done with formatting.

The current Spotless configuration is:

 * use same end-of-line characters as Git,
 * use Unix-style end-of-line character at the end of the file,
 * replace tabs with 4 spaces,
 * fix header,
 * sort imports,
 * remove unused imports.

Most notably it doesn't even correct the indentation of Java files
(try indenting by 1 character).

I have copied the configuration to `logging-parent`:
https://github.com/apache/logging-parent/pull/10
The PR additionally takes care of XML and YAML files.

In the `.editorconfig` file in `l-l-tools` I see a lot of IntelliJ
specific configuration. We should probably also provide an
Eclipse-specific formatting file.

Piotr