When I read "pages", "site", and do on, I am reminded of the model-view
paradigm. I would offer that we focus on _content_ first, and write that
content in some general format that tooling can then be used to generate a
site, a PDF, Javadoc, whatever.

FWIW, when I worked on the "Java Persistence with Hibernate" book, we wrote
everything in XHTML and used tooling called lemma to produce a PDF. This
was all in a Maven project, which contained all of the book's Java code,
which was compiled and tested like a plain old Java app. The Java source
code contains special comments that allowed the tooling to "code slurp" the
Java source and combine it with the XHTML to produce the book output.

All very cool since the Java examples for the book were as "real" as
possible, guaranteed to work, otherwise building the book would fail!.

2c,
Gary