I remember thinking several months back, when some Jira fix caught my eye, "Man, that's a heinous bug, we should really put out a 1.4.1 bug fix release for that once it's committed." Then i evidently got distracted, and there was a lot going on with the trunk merge, and then the 3x branch creation, etc... and i evidently forgot all about it.

Auditing all of the "post 1.4" Jira issues yesterday, Nine (*9*) Fixed bugs stood out to me as being really, REALLY bad -- bugs that made me think "Man, that was a really heinous bug, why didn't we put out a 1.4.1 bug fix release for that???". In addition, there where nine other bugs that seemed anoyingly trivial that if we *do* have a 1.4.1 bug fix release, we should try to include them. (See below for these two bug lists)

I get the sense that people are itching to do a 3.1 release of Lucene & Solr "soon" -- but realizsticly speaking "soon" seems like it will be at least a few months (if nothing else, since this will be the first "merged" release, there are probably some release process logistics that will need to be shaken out).

So my questions is: How many other people agree that it's worthwhile to do a 1.4.1 release?

This would be a "bug fix" release, so there is no need for "oh wait, i want better flesh out this API/Feature" hesitation. And we would release from the svn:lucene/solr/branches/branch-1.4/ so none of the trunk merge build system changes would really affect things. It should be relatively painless, all we need to do is merge the existing fixes for these issues onto that branch -- and that *should* be straight forward: all of these issues were already fixed on the 1.5-dev branch, so theres almost no chance they depend on much new Lucene 3x stuff (and if i'm wrong, we just skip that issue)

I'm willing to step up and do most of the backporting work -- but i don't want to waste that time if there aren't a few other people ready to help with the testing and the rest of the release process. In particular i'd rather not be the release manager (i don't even think i can be since i don't have a PGP Key) on top of doing the back porting. So i'm at least looking for a commitment from one other person whose willingto help ou with that.

        So what do people think?

-Hoss

## 9 Bugs w/fixes on the 1.5 branch that seem serious enough
## that they warrant a 1.4.1 bug-fix release...

FunctionQueries aren't correctly weighted

FastLRUCache doesn't correctly implement LRU

StreamingUpdateSolrServer doesn't specify UTF-8

capitalizationfilter crashes using maxWordCountOption

BufferedTokenStream incorrect cloning

Race condition in StreamingUpdateSolrServer

fields with sortMissingLast don't sort correctly

ConcurrentModificationException

Memory leak in FastLRUCache

## 9 Other bugs that already have fixes on the 1.5 branch ## that seem simple enough to backport if we are going ## to have a 1.4.1 bug-fix release...