The problem with your proposal is that, currently, Lucene uses current
iteration state to compute score.
I.e. it already knows which of SHOULD BQ clauses matched for current
doc, so it's easier to calculate the score.
If you change API to allow scoring arbitrary documents (even those
that didn't match the query at all), you're opening a can of worms :)

As an alternative, you can try looking at MG4J sources. As far as I
understand, their scoring is decoupled from matching, just like you
(and I bet many more people) want. The matcher is separate, and the
scoring entity accepts current matcher state instead of document id,
so you get the best of both worlds.

Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
ICQ: 104465785