On Jun 30, 2010, at 3:51 AM, Chris Male wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
> I'm with you in agreement on this issue.  The tier implementation has been
> functional while people have remained within quadrants, which just happens to
> be the case with the US, Europe, and large parts of Asia.
>
> My concern is not so much that its broken when crossing quadrants, but that
> we don't have the test coverage at each step in the process to verify that
> its working correctly.  To get the test coverage we need knowledge about how
> its supposed to work.  Although we can work on getting that, we don't have it
> today and I don't want to see Solr's support held up any longer.

It being broken is pretty important to me.  It's the old broken windows theory.
 Plus, I have my doubts it actually works correctly even in a quadrant.

> How much of the spatial contrib are you using in Solr? Just the geohashing
> functionality?  I wonder because given that I have a whole stack of
> improvements for spatial pending, which basically form a total re-write of
> the codebase.

Right, I am going to remove the tile stuff from Solr and that will leave just
the geohash stuff.

> Consequently is it not a better idea to deprecate the entire contrib, take
> what parts we know are functional and tested, and create a first-class
> spatial module.  We can then explore other options such as the morton number
> filtering I have, prefix queries for geohashes, and all other exotic bounding
> box hacks I've heard about from Uwe and Robert.  And while we explore these
> options, we can make sure they are thoroughly tested, and not overly complex
> before we add them to the module slowly.
>
> This way people who are using the contrib successfully can continue too, and
> then we can maybe drop the contrib from the 4.x releases.

Here's my proposal:

1. I'll finish up SOLR-1568, which has a few useful things that are added to
contrib/spatial in the way of distance utils.
2. We deprecate contrib/spatial in 3.x.
3. You start fresh with your stuff in modules/spatial on trunk and take the
geohash stuff and the utilities I added.

The nice thing about this approach is you can get started now and we won't
effect each other's work and I will no longer be holding you up.

-Grant