On a more general note...

Any time any of you out there hit an "odd" test failure, please please
please do just what Shai did: take it to the dev list!

Think of Lucene's unit tests like SETI :)  We are desperately seeking
bugs, and you and your machine may just be lucky enough to find one...
go forth and buy expensive new power hungry computers just so you can
run the random tests over and over, seeking the bugs!

But be sure to include that random seed when you do hit a failure...

Mike