On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Bill Janssen wrote:

Sure, but tell that to the Lucene folks.  They're the ones starting a
new thread here.  Of course, now and then one needs to start a new
thread.

I forwarded your question to Mike McCandless (who is also a subscriber to this list) to see if he had something to say on this topic.

Still, in your earlier message, you said: "I spawn a lot of short-lived threads in Python, and each of them is "attached" to Java, and "detached" after the "run" method returns.". To which I'm suggesting that you pool these threads instead and reuse them.

Andi..