On 9/20/2010 at 11:15 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Unfortunately, LUCENE-2611 does not automatically generate IntelliJ
>> setup files - they are static, just like the POM template files.
>
> Hmm, hadn't looked that closely.  I'd say this is going to suffer the same
> fate of the POM template files then and would thus be against including
> it.

It's not quite as bad as the POM template files, since IntelliJ can be told to
find all dependencies in a directory, rather than explicitly naming every
dependency, and LUCENE-2611 uses that facility just about everywhere (I think
the only exception is the JUnit jar test dependency, since the other stuff in
the same directory shouldn't necessarily be depended on during testing).

So the IntelliJ project files in LUCENE-2611 would continue to work without
manual intervention in the face of upgraded and/or additional dependencies, but
would require manual effort to sync up with structural changes.  While I don't
agree that this is a deal-breaker, since the manual intervention required would
be fairly minimal, I agree that auto-generation would be a lot more useful than
the current static approach.

My thought process was that setting this up manually would provide a benchmark
for auto-generation; the auto-generated version should not be less functional
than the manually generated one.

Steve