On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> If somebody reorders the directory structure, I will shout “revert revert
> revert” J

I wouldn't shout "revert revert revert" if by renaming stuff from src/java
to src/main/java etc, Grant's idea would work, in that we still use ant for
our build, but we have some way to automagically generate IDE configuration
files for eclipse, idea, netbeans, emacs, whatever, via some maven tool.

If this was the benefit, and the tradeoff being more difficult merging, and
having to ignore some path segments on existing patches, I might consider it
worth the cost.

but again, i have serious questions about maven in general. for example,
what if I wanted to add/modify a contrib that depends on a library that is
not "mavenized"?   Is it my responsibility to "mavenize" that dependency,
too? Does it make the release artifact invalid? is it a valid reason against
adding that contrib, since its dependencies are not all mavenized?

the fact that maven acts like a computer virus, but requires special things
of its hosts, means that i am pretty hesitant to vote for "full support of
it" without knowing exactly what the tradeoffs are.

--
Robert Muir
rcm...@gmail.com