Hi All;

I am not a committer yet but I want share my thoughts as a contributor and
a Solr user to give an example from real life. I use SolrCloud for one year
(our product is at pre-prod step) and I have hundreds of servers at my
company and nearly half of them are SolrCloud. We also have an Hadoop
cluster which runs Map/Reduce jobs. We also use and test Ambari and
Hortonworks and we also use Giraph at our Hadoop side. Just a few weeks ago
we've faced with an issue that some of projects that we use was not
compatible with Java 7 (yes its weird.) So we had to change the Java
version of our servers until we maintain it (I've updated a project from
Java 7 to Java 6 just because of that.)

I've separated the SolrCloud nodes from other parts of our ecosystem as
usual and I've never faced with a problem as like that with my management.
I use Java 1.7 u25 as recommended and because of it is stable. However I
see that even it is more logical to upgrade to new versions of Java (if it
is stable) sometimes there maybe some limitations for companies. If I could
generate Solr indexes via Map/Reduce at my current architecture I was not
able to use it because of that Java 6 problem.

I'm currently reviewing Java 8 book of Manning and I know that Java 8 has
great features. However my thought is that: Java 6 might be considered as
outdated and it is applicable that if we don't support it. However I think
that Java 7 will be used for a long time within companies and trunk should
support Java 7 too at least until Java 8 has a common usage or until the
end of life of Java 7 support (it seems that it will be supported at least
until March 2015).

Thanks;
Furkan KAMACI