I don't normally repost to the mailng lists, but this is better than
my own attempts :-)
http://words.steveklabnik.com/how-to-be-an-open-source-gardener

I would be curious to know how this topic applies to Lucene/Solr. I
have a feeling that the old-timers have a particular
sequence/process/concept in mind. But, the more recent members may
not.

Specifically, I have - for the first time really - gone through the
sections under "Solr Development" section of the Wiki. I can tell that
half of the items there are out of date and obsolete. The other half,
I cannot tell (because I am not an old timer/committer).

E.g. the ideas on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/TaskList . Some of them
must have been implemented, some proven stillborn (Apache Wirr), some
point at long abandoned issues. How can we spend 3-5 minutes per issue
and triage it into Yes/No (/Maybe?) and into the form that somebody
could actually find it (on http://www.codetriage.com/ or similar).

This one looks much fresher
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute : But do we actually still
have a separate "commit list"? I thought this one (dev@) was it. Or,
maybe, I just can't tell what's wrong with the page, I am only up to
the step 5 on it. And is http://s.apache.org/newdevlucenesolr really
used? Probably needs the same triage as before.

I am not complaining here, just think a discussion could be nice.
Links to past discussions could be useful as well, even if they are
somewhat outdated.

Regards,
   Alex.

Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency