One more comment/question -
Having looked at the Solr stats panel, I do not see detailed memory usage
for the field i'm collapsing on in the lucene FieldCache entries listings.

As I understand ( after having looked through this ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1292 ), this means that its not
an 'insanity' instance,
and so actually I am not using double the memory, but rather only have this
field in the FieldCache on the whole index level.

This got me thinking - If i'm not using any segment-level fieldcaching for
this field, there's no reason not to use an index-wide one,
as long as I can guarantee thats the only use case for this field in the
fieldcache.. is this correct?

Thanks again for helping me out with this delicate subject :)

Adam