Hi Uwe,

I have added your comments to JDK-8047340. The bug has an
original comment  "REGRESSION. Last worked in version 7u60"- are
you sure the bug existed in JDK 7?

Thanks
Balchandra

On 08/17/14 10:08 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
Hi,

it took some time to find out, why sometimes Lucene/Solr's tests failed with a
very strange error message when trying to fork a process on MacOSX and Linux.
The reason for this bug to appear is our randomized testing framework: As you
know, we execute all tests in different settings like default charsets, default
locales or default timezones, to find bugs caused by settings applied to the
environment, that may affect the code in an incorrect way. For more
information, see this (already famous) blog entry:
http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/default-locales-default-charsets-and.html

In our case the JDK issue was:

The issue on our side:

We just want to add, that this bug also applies to Java 7 - the same issue
exists there (and possibly also on Java 6). So the fix (Locale.ENGLISH /
Locale.ROOT) should be backported to Java 7 and Java 6 for customers with
support contract, too. As I cannot modify the bug report, it would be good to
add issues for Java 7 and Java 6, too.

Uwe

PS: We use the Forbidden-APIs checker
(https://code.google.com/p/forbidden-apis/) to detect such bugs in Apache
Lucene/Solr, Elasticsearch, Apache TIKA, and many other projects I don't know
of yet. Maybe when building the rt.jar, you should do the same :-) Calling
String#toLowerCase() without an explicit Locale is a bug, if you rely on
locale-insensitive behavior.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen