Dawid:

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I intended to commit it to both trunk
and 4.x, running full test suite now.

I looked it over and I see what you were talking about. I hadn't looked
before, my error invoking the tests and producing this error was getting in
the way of my _real_ test and I didn't have the energy.

You're totally right, static member vars for _anything_ but simple
immutable data is usually A Bad Thing.

Thanks again!
Erick