On 10/4/2014 10:35 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
> I tried to follow all of the trunk 6/branch 5x discussion, but... AFAICT
> there was no explicit decision or even implication that a release 5.0
> would be imminent or that there would not be a 4.11 release. AFAICT, the
> whole trunk 6/branch 5x decision was more related to wanting to have a
> trunk that eliminated the 4x deprecations and was no longer constrained
> by compatibility with the 4x index – let me know if I am wrong about
> that in any way! But I did see a comment on one Jira referring to
> “preparation for a 5.0 release”, so I wanted to inquire about
> intentions. So, is a 5.0 release “coming soon”, or are 4.11, 4.12,
> 4.13... equally likely?
>
> AFAICT, there isn’t anything super major in 5x that the world is
> super-urgently waiting for (WAR vs. server?), and people have been
> really good at making substantial enhancements in the 4x branch, so I
> would suggest that anybody strongly favoring an imminent 5.0 release
> (next six months) should make their case more explicitly. Otherwise, it
> seems like we can continue to look at an ongoing stream of significant
> improvements to the 4x branch and that a 5.0 is probably at least a year
> or so off – or simply waiting on some major change that actually
> warrants a 5.0.
>
> Open questions: What is Heliosearch up to, and what are Elasticsearch’s
> intentions?

I think you're right when you say that freeing trunk from compatibility
hell is a primary goal.

In SVN, branch_4x has been eliminated and branch_5x now exists.  We took
a roundabout path -- if I grok it correctly, branch_4x was renamed to
branch_5x and large-scale code changes were backported from trunk.  That
must have been quite a job, so many thanks to Robert for that effort.

I think that any further 4.x releases will only be point releases for
bugfixes on 4.10.  We currently don't have an easy way to build a new
4.x release, so the next feature release will be 5.0.

At this moment, branch_5x builds a war, not a server application.  I'm
still interested in changing that, and I believe that is the plan, but
as far as I know, no actual work has been done on the transition.  That
work is likely to take a while to become stable, so a timely 5.0 release
required restoring the war to 5x.

I am fairly sure the work for a standalone Solr server will happen on
trunk, and if the changes aren't extraordinarily drastic, we can port
the alternate build target to 5.x, and make it the default build target
in a later release.  Since 5.0 will still build a .war file, we probably
need to make a servlet version available for all 5.x releases.  Stay
tuned for info on how that gets managed, because I have no idea. :)
Perhaps breaking up the download into smaller bits can happen on the 5x
branch.

What I've seen from Heliosearch looks really awesome, though I haven't
actually tried it yet.  I'd like to see where that goes.  GC pauses can
be a big problem, so reducing the amount of memory that requires GC is a
great goal.  For elasticsearch, I have zero information.

We probably won't get 5.0 out the door before the end of the year, but
it would be awesome if we did.  Hopefully it won't take six months,
though that wouldn't surprise me.  I'm doing what I can for the cause,
by running a larger test suite than normal.  We've got some insane
resource requirements for some of our non-default tests!  The "@Monster"
designation is fitting.

Thanks,
Shawn