> Down to practicalities, we need Lucene 4.8 as our DocValues are Disk
> based and that support was removed in 4.9.

I assume you’re referring to the “Disk” DV format/Codec?  The standard
format has the data on disk too, it’s just that there’s some “small”
(relative to the disk data) lookup references in heap/memory whereas the
codec you’re using doesn’t.  Are you sure the standard codec isn’t
sufficient?  If your use-case shows that there’s a need for the disk codec,
I think it could be brought back, perhaps into the codecs module.  You
could copy the code too to use newer Lucene versions… although I recall
some push vs pull API changes so I don’t know what it would take to bring
it up to date.  I’m curious what Rob Muir says about this.

~ David