On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 18:18, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Jan Høydahl /
> Cominvent<jan....@cominvent.com> wrote:
>> The problem with large "start" is probably worse when sharding is involved.
>> Anyone know how the shard component goes about fetching
>> start=1000000&rows=10 from say 10 shards? Does it have to merge sorted lists
>> of 1mill+10 docsids from each shard which is the worst case?
>
> Yep, that's how it works today.

Technically, if your docs have a non-biased (in regards to their
sort-value) distribution across shards, you can fetch much less than
topN docs from each shard.
I played with the idea, and it worked for me. Though later I dropped
the opto, as it complicated things somewhat and my users aren't
querying gazillions of docs often.

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4