4.0 was a major change.  The alpha/beta allowed a more lengthened period of
time for users to experiment with upgrading.  But 5.0 doesn't have anything
crazy.  Codecs are stable and easily upgrade when changes/bugfixes are
needed.

Furthermore, the alpha/beta logic in Version.java is/was very hairy (and
just touching it caused the 4.10.1 release).  I don't see the need.  If
users don't want to upgrade until 5.1, or 5.2, or 5.10, it doesn't matter.
We should just stick with regular dot releases and avoid crazy alpha/beta.