On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Simon Willnauer <
simon.willna...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> So moving stuff to modules has several advantages compared to trunk. I
> think we all agree that we want lucene to be able to make use of this
> functinality right?! So if we keep it in core we can either try to
> make it right this time or we stick with bw compat for a long time
> again risking that the same thing happens again and solr changes stuff
> in incompatible ways. While this is a minor risk, I see FQ not really
> a core part of lucene but rather something that is similar to
> Analysis, a package with a small base interface (which could stay in
> lucene core) and a large useful impl base like all the funcs in solr.
> So it seems to me that modules is the right place for at least those
> implemenations.
>
> does that make sense?

Do you mean that modules are not subject to backcompat guidelines? I was not
ware of that.
Relieving backcompat burden is a motivation by itself, but that asside,
function query (or custom score query) seems like basic capability to me -
it is not something that both Lucene and Solr are using, but rather
something that Lucene is providing and Solr and user applications are using,
right?