Actually docvalues is like field cache, in that you can quickly look
up a value from a docID, except the values are stored in the index
directory and then loaded into RAM by SegmentReader.

So eg while FieldCache must "uninvert" to create the array, doc values
are just loaded.

Doc values are also more efficient in some cases.  EG, when storing
byte[] per doc, you can state whether it should be deref'd (which
you'd do for an enum'd field, eg "Country"), or stored directly (which
you should do for a field that won't have many dups, eg "Title").

But: they don't yet support updating the values (the goal is to allow
this, eventually).  This is just the first step.

In the future, we may also cutover norms -> doc values, and likely use
them to hold the raw measures (field/doc boost, doc number of tokens,
doc avg tf., etc.) for flex scoring.

Mike