On 2/11/2015 12:42 PM, Dawid Weiss wrote:
>> IMHO, this calculation should be adjusted so that a 3-core system gets a
>> value of 2.
> A 3-core system? What happened to one of its, ahem, gems? :)

This is the processor I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103683

The X3 chip line consists of 4-core chips that have had one of the cores
disabled.  Initially AMD did this because sometimes one of the cores
would be bad and fail tests, but later they also used it as a way to
sell perfectly good 4-core chips at a lower price point, by disabling
one of the cores.  There's no way to know (aside from testing) why any
specific chip is an X3 instead of an X4, but apparently most of the X3
chips on the market have 4 perfectly good cores.

The motherboard I'm using will enable the disabled core, but when I
enabled the relevant BIOS setting (which also overclocked the chip a
little bit), I had stability problems with the machine, so I disabled it
and now I'm back down to three cores at the labelled speed.  Eventually
I will get around to figuring out whether the disabled core is bad or
the stability problems were due to overclocking.

Is this JVM calculation only done in the carrotsearch randomized
testing, or is it also found in JUnit itself?

Thanks,
Shawn