Hi Charles,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Reitzel, Charles
<charles.reit...@tiaa-cref.org> wrote:
> Am I missing something?   Across the project, I’m seeing over 1,000
> references to BooleanQuery.add().   Already, this seems like a pretty major
> refactoring.  And I haven’t checked the other types of queries:
> DisjunctionMax, Phrase, and MultiPhrase.   At that scale, bugs will be
> introduced.
>
> I’m not disagreeing with the concept.  At all.   It’s part of the Collections
> contract that anything used in hashCode() and equals() be kept immutable.
> Just wondering if the cost is worth the principle this time?

The majority of call sites are in test folders. This does not make the
change easier but it decreases the chances to introduce an actual bug.
Also, the queries that we need to modify are those that are best
tested so I'm quite confident that this change will not be a bug nest.

However I totally agree that the change it huge, this is why I asked
for opinions on the list before doing it actually doing it.

--
Adrien