: Once that's done, switching should just be a question of changing the
: welcome-file in web.xml.

My suggestion, along the lines of what we did with the previous UI
change...

1) ensure that the new UI is fully functional in 5x using an alt path
(believe this is already true?)

2) add an "Upgrading" note to CHANGES.txt for 5.2 directing people to
the new "experimental" UI and the URL to access it, note that it
will likely become the default in 5.3 and users are encouraged to try it
out and file bugs if they notice any problems.

3) update trunk so that it *is* the default UI, and make the old UI
available at some alternate path (eg "/solr/old_ui").  Add an Upgrading
note pointing out that the URLs may be slightly different, and how to
access the old UI if they have problems

* backport trunk changes (#3) to 5x for 5.3 (or later if problems/delays
pop up)

: *Then* we can get on with things like a collections API page, an
: "explains" viewer, etc, etc, etc.

+1

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/