I have a few custom SearchComponents that manipulate some data that is
being pulled out of the index in the finishStage. This approach has been
working well until I went to a single shard collection at which point the
components stopped functioning. After a bit of debugging I found the
HttpShardHandler decided to short circuit the request (unless I specify a
req param of shortCircuit=false) at which point the finishStage is
bypassed. Was the bypassing of the finishStage intentional for short
circuited requests? Should I be doing this data manipulation in the process
stage instead? If you all believe this is a bug I would be happy to write
up a ticket and take a crack at a fix. Additionally, it would be great to
write some javadocs for the overridable SearchComponent  methods so those
who create custom components in the future won't be surprised at the
behaviour.

Thanks,

-Steve