On 2011-02-10, Digy wrote:

> I don't see it as a "request for permission". It is rather to inform people
> about the change who may have different ideas and give a chance to comment
> on it if this change breaks something in their own local copy.

That's what I understood as well.

I realize that you currently are the only one who could revert any
change that could break anything but this will hopefully change soon.

In general if a change breaks anything, it can get reverted.  In my
experience if you ask for objections you won't hear any until after
you've committed the change anyway 8-)

In this particular case you are adding a piece of ported contrib code
that hasn't been there before at all so the danger shouldn't be too big
IIUC.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that you should not fear breaking
each other local copies too much since it can get fixed after the fact.
Glitches happen, whether you asked for objections/permission or not.

Of course there are big changes that need to be discussed, but that's a
different story.

Stefan