<satire>
I had some performance issues, so I decided to update core Lucene
code. Now I have 3 problems:
*) performance issues
*) hard to debug code
*) annoyed Solr developers whose use cases I did not consider

Not that I am reading random JIRAs or anything.....
</satire>

Seriously though, for those trying to step-through the code, it might
be worth checking out something like Chronon
http://chrononsystems.com/,
https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/help/debugging-with-chronon.html . I
played with it as part of IntelliJ Ultima plugin (no extra charge) and
it was quite interesting. Though when a plugin, it has to start
Jetty/Solr in-process, which might be harder (but not impossible) with
Solr 5. I am hoping to revisit and blog about how to do that at some
point soon.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Solr Analyzers, Tokenizers, Filters, URPs and even a newsletter:
http://www.solr-start.com/