Thanks a lot for the info Shawn.  HowToContribute also had a ton of good
info.  A couple other questions:

*) what version of Java is best to run the test suite with?
*) What branch is best to create a patch from so that it doesn't cause
conflict for who applies it?  I guess if it's from the 5.3 branch
and I mark it as 5.3.0 in Jira that will help?
*) After I log a Jira and submit a patch, what next to make it get noticed,
if anything?

Ryan