[image: lucene-merge-commit-pic.png]

Just to put a little picture to this, I noticed the following:  (see
attached pic)
I suspect it was the bi-product of using a merge based pull (I think the
default?) instead of a rebase one, and as a result we have this little loop
in the log.  No doubt there is a place for merge commits (e.g. merging one
feature branch and another); but is there an advocate willing to tell us
the virtues that in this instance (not all instances but this one), it's a
good thing?  i.e. is there some insight this loop shows that that I should
value more than a direct simple lineage?

FWIW I prefer to rebase my commits to prevent these little merge bubbles.
It happens automatically with this setting:
   git config --global pull.rebase true
Alternatively it could be done without the --global flag.  I would most
appreciate it if other committers used this same setting, and I think we'd
all mutually appreciate it as well with cleaner git histories.

~ David