On Mar 10, 2011, at 6:21 PM, William Bell wrote:

> 1. ValueSources does not support MultiValue fields.

I think the problem isn't ValueSources, it's the FieldCache.  The FieldCache is
fundamentally very limited to one indexed primitive value per document. I took
a look at UninvertedField but that appears to be tied to faceting and it's not
sufficiently flexible any way. I think I need to do, as UninvertedField does,
create a cache registered in solrconfig.xml.  The other tricky bit is somehow
accessing it.  I think I figured it out. In my field type's
getValueSource(SchemaField field, QParser parser), the parser is a
FunctionQParser implementation, which has access to SolrQueryRequest, which has
access to SolrIndexSearcher, which allows me to lookup the cache by the name I
choose.  That's quite a chain of indirection that took time to track down; I
nearly gave up :-).

~ David