Actually, the IntelliJ integration is not bad for simple stuff, you
can enable it in the plugins manager. Perhaps my problem with
CHANGES.txt is related to rebasing, we'll see.

bq: If I didn't use SmartGit I would hate Git so much...

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a whirl, I suspect I'll appreciate it a bit
more when I've banged my head against the wall a few more times.