On Mar 13, 2011, at 11:47 AM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I guess the question people w/ Solr only hats on have (if there are such
>> people), is which way is that street going?  It seems like most people want
>> to pull stuff out of Solr, but they don't seem to want to put into it.
>> That's probably where some of the resistance comes from.  If you want to
>> modularize everything so that you can consume it outside of Solr, it usually
>> means you don't use Solr, which sometimes comes across that you don't care
>> if the modularization actually has a negative effect on Solr.  I'm all for
>> modularization and enabling everyone, but not at the cost of loss of
>> performance in Solr.  As tightly coupled as Solr is, it's pretty damn fast
>> and resilient.  Show me that you keep that whole and I'll be +1 on
>> everything.
>
> Do you have any facts to back up these baseless accusations?

I apologize.  I didn't attend to accuse anyone if it was read that way.  If you
read earlier, I actually thought the whole merge is going well and that their
is some pretty good cross-fertilization going on.  If I didn't properly convey
it here, the accusations are actually against those who have only Solr hats on.
 Hint, I ain't one of them.  It is a concern I've heard from people in the
"don't poach Solr camp".  I don't think it's the right attitude, but I do think
it is worth mentioning the concern.    I really see Lucene/Solr as a broad
continuum of enabling technologies and really there isn't one or the other in
my mind.

> Because I'll tell you how its "seems" to me: lucene committers are
> going well beyond whats required (fixing solr) to commit changes to
> lucene.

I totally agree.  The sum of the parts is really awesome now.

> Take a look at the commits list, we are the ones doing Solr's dirty work:
> * Like Uwe Schindler fixing up tons of XML related bugs in Solr,
> fixing analysis.jsp and the related request handlers.
> * Like Simon Willnauer doing the necessary improvements to IndexReader
> such that SolrIndexReader need not exist, and trying to add good codec
> support to Solr so it can take advantage of flexible indexing.

Yep and he should commit those when he is ready.

I heartily agree this is great work.

> And I guess i didnt "put any effort into solr" when i spent a huge
> chunk of this weekend tracking down jre crashes and test bugs in a
> Solr cloud test?!

I never said you didn't.  I am totally in awe of the work you are doing.  I
wish I had half the energy and focus of some of the people who commit on a
regular basis.

> As far as modularization having a negative performance effect on Solr,
> how is this the case? Again do you have any concrete examples, or is
> this just more baseless accusations?

No, I don't.  I just said those are the concerns.  I tend to agree that they
are unfounded.

> Do you have specific benchmarks to where solr's analysis is now
> somehow slower due to the refactoring (since this is the only
> modularization thats happened from solr)?!
> Doesn't look slower to me:
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/46a8351089a98aec/protwords_txt_support_in_stemmers#46a8351089a98aec

Dude, I think the analysis modularization is awesome.  I'm about to begin
porting it to OpenNLP for instance.  I wish it was more decoupled so I wouldn't
have to bring all of Lucene core over and could just bring the analysis.
Likewise for Mahout.