I'd like to see some motion on this, which probably means I need to do
it myself.  I'd like to know who I can talk to about the build/packaging
system so I can find what needs to change, and especially so I don't
break it.

There's already a jira issue -- SOLR-6806, with some related bits in
SOLR-5103.

The Solr download for 5.5.0 is 130 or 138 megabytes, depending on what
OS you're going to install it on.  For the rest of this email, let's
focus on the .zip version (138MB), since my client is Windows and I'd
like to compare apples to apples.

We have a .zip download size of 138MB, which thankfully is down in size
since we completely dropped the war file.  That *other* search engine
based on Lucene has a .zip download size of 28MB.

I started fiddling with the download archive on my Windows machine,
pulling out obvious pieces at the root of the extracted archive, and
managed to get the .zip size down to 40MB.

If I dig further and remove the lucene-analyzers-kuromoji jar (over 4MB)
and the hadoop jars (10MB), which the majority of Solr's users will
*never* need, Solr 5.5's .zip file drops to 25MB.

I'm not suggesting that we just remove these pieces.  We would need to
have a main artifact and several supporting artifacts.  The total size
would be virtually the same, so the concerns in LUCENE-5589 and
LUCENE-6247 will not get worse.  They also won't get better.

There's plenty of opportunity for bikeshedding here, but that should be
done in Jira.  For this email, I'd like to know if anyone has strong
opposition to this, and if not, who would be willing to provide guidance
for how to do it right.

Thanks,
Shawn