Mystery solved - I was using ant 1.8.1 - moving to 1.7.1 solved these
problems.
I upgraded to 1.8.1 while ago, which seems to be incompatible with Lucene's
build - as Uwe explained here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/108187?do=post_view_threaded
.
(although that thread relates to building Maven artifacts).
If this indeed is a known build requirement (?) I'd like to update
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/RunningTests, README.txt (and perhaps
even update common-build.xml so that it would stop running if the ant
version is incompatible but perhaps this is too much).
Regards,
Doron