On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : The issue is a bug in IBM's Collections class. The List returned by
> : emptyList() does not implement RandomAccess.
> :
> : I fixed the test (unfortunately it's clear that emptyList() should
> : return a random access list, but it's not in the spec, so it's not
> : really IBM's fault). The fix is to use a realy empty Array and wrap it
> : with Arrays.asList().
>
> Should this make us rethink using Collections.emptyList() in the code
> base?  Should we be roling our own?

If you want to rely upon the fact that Collections.emptyList()
implements RandomAccess, then yes. But this seems pretty silly, since
you arent going to be randomly-accessing anything.... I think Uwe's
followup issue (LUCENE-2990) is the best solution.

its not a bug in IBM's JRE: nowhere does it say that
Collections.emptyList should implement RandomAccess in the javadocs.
The only other thing they say about this method is that it need not
create a new object (up to implementation), and that its immutable and
serializable.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Collections.html#emptyList()

it was a bug in our test.