Hello,

IndexDeletionPolicy in Lucene enables users to configure when the stale
Index commits should be deleted. Currently Solr uses this support to
"reserve" a commit point while the relevant segment files are being copied
as part of the backup operation. This reservation information is stored
in-memory only (and hence doesn't preserve across server restart).

I wonder if we can use this to implement point-in-time and zero-copy
snapshots ?Essentially the idea would be store the IndexCommit related
information in a persistent fashion so that this "reservation" can be
preserved across server restart. Hence once the snapshot is created, the
relevant commit_point would be reserved permanently (unless the snapshot is
deleted). The advantage of this would be that we can eliminate the copy
operation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Hrishikesh