Anshum,

TL;DR: When there is only one release in flight, I think it’s okay to run
addVersion.py on all branches at the start of the release process for all types
of releases.

When we chatted last night I said backcompat index testing was a problem on
non-release branches in the interval between adding a not-yet-released version
to o.a.l.util.Version and when a backcompat index is committed on the branch.
I was wrong.

Here are the places where there are back-compat coverage tests:

1. smokeTestRelease.py's confirmAllReleasesAreTestedForBackCompat() will
succeed until release artifacts have been published - see
getAllLuceneReleases() for where they are scraped off the lucene release list
page on archive.apache.org.  So back-compat indexes should be generated and
committed as soon as possible after publishing artifacts.

2. backward-codec’s TestBackwardsCompatibility.testAllVersionsTested() will
still succeed if a single version is not tested.  Here’s the code:

  // we could be missing up to 1 file, which may be due to a release that is in
progress
  if (missingFiles.size() <= 1 && extraFiles.isEmpty()) {

The above test could be improved by checking for the presence of published
release artifacts for each release like smokeTestRelease.py does, and then not
requiring the backcompat index be present for those that are not yet published;
this would allow for multiple in-flight releases.

Steve