I'm studying the BytesRefHash class, a mapping from bytes to a generated ID for
the bytes.

In the BytesRefHash class, there are two levels of reference:
(1) ids[bytes' hash code] ---> count, where count is the self-incremental size
of the this hashmap.
(2) bytesStart[count] ---> offset in the ByteBlockPool, where the original
bytes are stored.

My question is, can the above two references be collapsed into one, as follows ?
ids[bytes' hash code] ---> offset in the ByteBlockPool.

I've searched the code, and cannot grab an idea what's the benefit to have
another indirection via bytesStart.

p.s. I am a newbie. Should basic questions about Lucene source code be asked in
this mail list dev@lucene.apache.org or elsewhere ?

Yijian Huang