The other answers are fine; I've done this a couple times before to play
tricks with span queries.  It's a PITA if you want to integrate this with
Solr; you may end up writing an URP that puts together the merged
TokenStream then passes along a Field instance with this TS.  Solr's
DocumentBuilder will pass this straight through to the Lucene document and
skip the FieldType.  Alternatively if you really want to do the majority of
the work in a custom FieldType, you could write an URP that just wraps up
the values into something custom that will get passed into
FieldType.createFields by the DocumentBuilder.

Good luck.