: -1. These files should be readable, for maintaining, debugging and
: knowing whats going on.

Readability is my main concern ... i don't know (and frequently can't
tell) the differnece between a lot of non ascii characters -- and i'm
guessing i'm not alone.  when it's spelled out explicitly using the
character name or escape code, there is no ambiquity about what character
was intended, or wether it got screwed up by some tool along the way (ie:
the svn server, an svn client, the patch command, a text editor, an IDE,
ant's "fixcrlf" task, etc...)

: its the 21st century, we can use unicode

even if we're ok with using unicode literals in the source, it would still
be nice in cases like these to have the long name of the character in
question in the comment right next to it so there's no ambiguity about
what was intended.

-Hoss