On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Thomas Matthijs
> <thomas.matth...@actonomy.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 14:15, Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> I had no success to change anything. As root I can at least call ulimit
>>> -n, but the limit does not raise. Lowering is easily possible:
>>>
>>> [root@lucene ~]# ulimit -n 32768
>>
>> Probably kernel level enforced max, try raising it with sysctl, i think
>> there are options named "kern.maxfilesperproc" or "kern.maxfiles" you can
>> list them with # sysctl -a
>>

> Are you sure we should do this? I've had this discussion with
> mikemccand before, the concern is that if we have too many open files
> this is definitely a realistic problem (it comes up on the userlist
> quite often).

--> open files                      (-n) 11095

thats quite a ok setting though... the problem I see here is that
there are some tests around that could produce tons of files due to
some settings like maxBufferedDocs = 2 if then no merge policy is used
we getting pretty close to those limits. The problems on the userlist
are coming up since ever.... not sure what to do here then..

simon