Hallo Rory,

I will be on FOSDEM, I also have a talk there:
https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/jigsaw_challenges/

I downloaded build 151 already, but we have to wait a bit until the new Groovy
2.4.8 release is out (release vote is ongoing an should finish today/tomorrow),
as our build system breaks because of the build 148 Jigsaw changes.

The other problem with unmapping memory mapped byte buffers was fixed in 150,
thanks (https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8171377, interestingly the
changelog of build 150 on the jdk9.java.net web site is incorrect, as it only
shows the Jigsaw changes, not the main build ones. The Jigsaw changelog on the
Jigsaw download page is identical! build 151 is fine again - but we are missing
the build 150 changes web page which got lost). Elasticsearch is also working
on fixing the b148+ mmap issues:
https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/22495

Also because of the build 148 changes, some Solr tests, using Mocking
Frameworks like Mockito or EasyMock need to be disabled. The reason are
problems in the famous library Cglib, where I opened an issue:
https://github.com/cglib/cglib/issues/93 The mocking frameworks is still a hot
theme and many people are complaining. I see no good solution here, especially
because Solr uses multiple mocking frameworks and some of them have no updates
anymore. So disabling tests is the only solution! Once all of this is done, I
will update the Jenkins CI server to use the recent JDK9 builds. Currently, I
can only test manually on my local machine.

Otherwise building Lucene’s Javadocs is still broken, because javadoc tool
crushes with an Exception. The issue is:
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8157611 - I think it should be fixed
before release of Java 9!

Uwe

-----