On 1/12/2017 3:36 PM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
> I don’t like putting version numbers into the website, since they WILL
> be out of date at some point. But it is hard to explain three
> generations without giving examples, suggestions for how to avoid it?

In the paragraph, don't mention the actual version numbers.  Instead,
refer to general version categories, and include something that's
table-like where actual version numbers are given.  Here's an example of
what that table structure might contain, feel free to bikeshed as necessary:

5.5.x : Version in the previous major release for bugfixes
6.x   : Current major version, comes from the stable branch_6x
7.0   : Next major version, will come from master branch

When a new stable branch is built and we go looking for info that needs
updating, this page will contain it all in one place.  If the code that
builds the website allows tags/comments that become invisible, perhaps
we can come up with a way to tag this with a string that we can search
for later when we we build a new stable branch.

Thanks,
Shawn